Scholarships for Marketing Majors
Grants, Student Loans, & Fellowships
Obtaining a marketing degree can open the doors to a number of career opportunities. Marketing majors can work in various business environments including advertising, market research, communications, sales, and public relations. The first step is obtaining the money to get a good education in marketing. Luckily, marketing majors have many options of financial aid and scholarships.
Most colleges and universities offer general scholarships based on merit or financial need, typically administered through the financial aid department. Other options lie within the marketing department itself. Here marketing majors can find departmental scholarships which are specific to their career interest.
And finally, the scholarship search doesn’t have to end on-campus. Marketing majors can seek outside scholarships by using the Internet. There are many organizations, corporations, and foundations which offer scholarships, fellowships, and even internships to qualifying marketing majors. It is just a matter of knowing where to start your search.
Where to Find Free Money for Marketing Majors
Scholarships are known as ‘free money’ opportunities for students because they do not need to be repaid. These awards are a great supplement to a student’s financial aid package since they lessen the need for college loans.
Most marketing scholarships can be found on-campus. The financial aid office offers general scholarships, typically merit- and/or need-based. Other awards are offered through the marketing department. These subject-specific awards are dedicated to marketing majors and their career interests.
The marketing department at Western Michigan University offers some marketing scholarships through the Haworth College of Business. Marketing students applying for these awards must demonstrate community and university involvement, as well as a minimum grade point average of 3.0.
- Dr. Andrew Brogowicz Scholarship is awarded to marketing majors who have a minor or second major in a foreign language. Award amount is $1,000.
- Dr. Raymond and Mary Dannenberg Marketing Scholarships—award three $1,000 scholarships to qualifying marketing majors.
- Ronald J. Davis-Biggs/Gilmore Communications Scholarship is awarded to a marketing major with a career interest in interactive marketing. Award amount is $1,000. This scholarship includes a one year paid internship.
Jennings A. Jones College of Business at Middle Tennessee State University offers the following marketing scholarships:
- Bernard Goldstein Scholarship—awarded to one marketing major in their junior year of college who has the highest grade point average. Award amount varies, depending on funding availability. Amount can range anywhere from $250 to $500.
- Fowler I. Todd Management and Marketing Scholarship—awarded to marketing and management majors in their junior year. This is a one-year scholarship based on highest grade point average. Award amount is $250.
- Henry Ruppel Scholarship is awarded to marketing majors in their junior or senior year of college. Award amounts differ each year.
- James C. Douthit Scholarship in Marketing—this scholarship is given to incoming freshmen selecting marketing as their major area of study. Applicants must demonstrate leadership abilities and have a minimum grade point average of 3.0 to be considered.
Outside Scholarships for Marketing Majors
Besides scholarships found on-campus, marketing students can seek outside scholarships specific to their major and career interest. Here are examples of such awards:
The Lagrant Foundation offers an undergraduate scholarship and a graduate scholarship to minority students pursuing a major in marketing, advertising, or public relations. Eligible ethnic groupd include Asian Pacific Islander, Native American/Alaska Native, African American, or Hispanic/Latino. Must be a full-time student enrolled at an accredited four-year institution to be considered.
The Florida Direct Marketing Association, Inc. offers the Young Direct Marketers Scholarship to qualifying marketing majors. Award amount for this scholarship is $2,000.
The Web Association in Ohio offers the Web Strategy & Marketing Scholarship to four Northwest Ohio students interested in interactive marketing. Recipients complete a five-week internship which involves working with area agencies and corporations. Selected students who complete the internship also receive a $500 scholarship.
Scholarships Tips for Marketing Majors
- Speak to staff in the marketing department to find out about scholarship availability and requirements. Marketing departments typically fall under the College of Business at most institutions.
- Don’t rule out the financial aid office. This is where marketing majors can find general scholarships, usually based on merit or financial need.
- Seek outside scholarships. The Internet is a great resource in finding scholarships awarded by organizations, foundations, and associations.
- When seeking scholarships start early, and note all deadlines.
- Scholarships for Mathematics Majors - Grants, Student Loans, Fellowships
- Scholarships for Marine Biology Majors - Grants, Student Loans, Fellowships