Grants, Student Loans, & Fellowships
If you have a passion for planning and designing structures, becoming an architect may be the career for you. Most architecture programs offered at colleges and universities are typically five year programs. Therefore, seeking scholarships are a great way to help pay for your college expenses, and lessens the need to take out unwanted student loans.
Future architects can seek scholarship opportunities through colleges and universities. Other options include using the Internet to find private and professional funding.
Where to Find Scholarships for Architecture Students
Scholarships are a great supplement to an architect student’s financial aid package, because it is free money that doesn’t have to be repaid. Colleges and universities offer general scholarships through the financial aid office, as well as departmental scholarships which are career-specific.
The University of Texas—San Antonio’s College of Architecture offers architect students a number of scholarships to provide financial support.
Here are two examples:
- The Bill & Diane Hays Endowed Scholarship in Architecture & Interior Design—this scholarship is awarded to undergraduate students studying architecture or interior design. Must be a full-time student with a minimum 3.0 grade point average to apply. Award amount is $500.
- Gene George Endowed Architecture Scholarship in Historic Preservation—awarded to a graduate student enrolled in the School of Architecture, with a concentration in historic preservation. Award amount is $1,000.
Ball State University, in Indiana, offers architecture majors several scholarships specific to their career goals. Applicants must be nominated by faculty or fellow classmates depending on the scholarship. Award amounts for the scholarships vary by year. The Kevin Theobald Memorial Scholarship is awarded to architecture students who have completed three years of the program, and demonstrate financial need. The Morrison Kattman Menze Inc. Scholarship is awarded to a new student seeking a degree in architecture.
Iowa State University provides a number of scholarships for students studying architecture. The Hammel, Green and Abrahamson Architecture Scholarship is awarded to architecture students to help fund their college education. Awards $1,425 in tuition credit to qualifying students in their fourth year or graduate level students looking to study abroad. The Scott E. Olson Leadership/Community Service Award is awarded to undergraduate students who demonstrate excellent leadership skills, community service involvement, and financial need. Recipient is awarded $1,250 in tuition credit.
To keep college costs to a minimum, architect students can also seek outside scholarships to add to their financial aid package.
The American Architectural Foundation (AAF) offers scholarships and fellowships to architecture majors. The AIA/AAF Minority Disadvantaged Scholarship Program is awarded to high school students, incoming college freshmen, and community college students who come from disadvantaged backgrounds and are looking to pursue a degree in architecture. AAF awards up to 20 scholarships per year. Amounts vary each year. The Richard Morris Hunt Fellowship is a six-month fellowship awarded to architecture students from the U.S and France interested in historic preservation. This fellowship alternates each year between an American architect and a French architect and carries a stipend in the amount of $25,000.
Landscape Architecture Foundation (LAF) offers several scholarships and fellowships to future architects. The Steven G. King Play Environments Scholarship is given to architecture students interested in designing play environments. To apply, students must include a plan/design of a play environment, two letters of recommendation, and an essay. Amount awarded is $3,000. The Courtland Paul Scholarship awards $5,000 to a qualifying architecture student enrolled in a Landscape Architecture accredited program. Student must be in the last two years of schooling and be a U.S. citizen to apply. An essay and two letters of recommendation are required.
The World Studio Foundation Scholarship awards scholarships ranging from $200 to $5,000 to qualifying architecture students, and those pursuing creative design fields. To be eligible, applicants must be registered with an accredited four-year program, and seeking a degree in architecture. International students are eligible. Preference is given to minority students. Applicants must demonstrate financial need.
Scholarship Tips for Future Architects
- Meet with a financial aid representative to find out what general scholarships and other financial aid opportunities are available.
- Talk to architecture department staff to discover scholarship opportunities that are subject-specific.
- Expand your scholarship search. Seek outside scholarships administered by private and professional funding by using the Internet.
- Know the deadlines and the requirements for each scholarship prior to applying for them.
- Culinary Arts Scholarships - Grants, Student Loans, Fellowships
- Aerospace Engineering Scholarships - Grants, Student Loans, Fellowships