Grants, Student Loans, & Fellowships
The fascination of the human mind and behavior are the main studies of psychology. Beyond that students develop skills for conducting research to better explain human emotions, behavior, and thought. This in turn helps them apply their knowledge for future treatments in mental health, self-help workshops, and more. Before psychology students get to this point a good solid education is essential. And since the cost of college is high, psychology students can seek scholarships to help pay for some college expenses.
Types of Scholarships for Psychology Majors
Scholarships are awards that don’t have to be repaid. They are great for a student’s financial aid package because it lessens the need for student loans. Many colleges and universities with psychology programs offer departmental scholarships specific to psychology majors. In addition, there are government organizations, foundations, and associations which offer psychology scholarships to qualifying students. Here are some examples:
At the University of Minnesota, the Department of Psychology offers several scholarships for qualifying students through its undergraduate program. The Mortenson Scholarship is an annual departmental award given to qualifying psychology majors in the amount of $1,000. The Mortenson Travel & Research Awards offers two separate awards to qualifying psychology majors. The Travel Award is designed for a psychology student who plans to attend and present a paper at the undergraduate conference or professional conference. The Research Award is awarded to a qualifying psychology major to be used towards their research project. Each of these awards provides up to $250 each, depending on funding availability.
Calvin College in Grand Rapids, Michigan offers a number of psychology scholarships.
- The Cornelius A. & Lettie G. Plantinga Scholarship is awarded to a full-time junior or senior level student, majoring in psychology, with a minimum grade point average of 3.5 or higher. Financial need is considered for this award.
- The VanderPoloeg-Edgerly Scholarship is awarded to a psychology or sociology major, or a student enrolled in the social work program. Applicants must be in their junior or senior year, and enrolled as a full-time student to be considered. Recipient of this award agrees to write a paper on the topic of child sexual abuse.
- The John and Gwendolyn Jansma Scholarship is awarded to undergraduate students pursuing a career in psychology, social work, or a related field. Preference is given to psychology majors with a strong Christian character.
- The Alfred Reynolds & Bette Reynolds Goote Scholarship is awarded to students in their junior or senior year, majoring in psychology. Applicants should be competent in research design and statistics, and possess the goal of pursuing graduate studies in psychology.
The University of Wisconsin—Madison also offers a variety of psychology scholarships. The Psi Chi Outstanding Research Paper Award is offered by the Psi Chi Chapter on campus in the amount of $50 to psychology students who demonstrate outstanding progress in the classroom, and has completed an excellent research project. Another award offered is the Uehling Award which is awarded to an outstanding psychology student with the best research idea. The scholarship awards $1,000 to be used for research expenses. Hilldale Scholarship recipients are not eligible for this award. The Rosevear Excellence in Community Service Award is given to a psychology student utilizing their educational knowledge by volunteering within the community. Qualifying students receive $100 for recognition of their community service work.
The National Association of School Psychologists (NASP) offers the NASP-ERT Minority Scholarship Program for graduate students pursuing a career as a school psychologist. Minimum award amount is $5,000.
The U.S. Department of Health & Human Services offers scholarships to disadvantaged students pursuing a career in a health-related field, including psychology. The scholarships are awarded through colleges and universities nationwide. Some institutions include Bevill State Community College, Arizona State University, Loma Linda University, University of San Diego, Indian Hills Community College, and more.
The United States Army offers the Health Professions Scholarship Program. This program includes a number of health-related fields, including clinical psychology. The scholarship pays for tuition, books, fees, and provides a monthly stipend.
Tips about Psychology Scholarships
- Check on campus for scholarship opportunities. The financial aid offers general scholarships while the psychology department provides awards specific to the psych major.
- Don’t forget outside scholarships. Check online for organizations, government agencies and associations which offer psychology scholarships.
- Start early! Nothing better than researching and knowing requirements and deadlines way before having to fill out applications. Being proactive pays off in the long run.
- Electrical Engineering Scholarships - Grants, Student Loans, Fellowships
- Culinary Arts Scholarships - Grants, Student Loans, Fellowships