Scholarships in Physical Education
Grants, Student Loans, & Fellowships
Showing others how to maintain a healthy lifestyle with a variety of physical activities is one of many reasons to become a physical education major. Most students enrolled in a physical education program go on to become teachers in elementary or secondary schools, and other related occupations.
Affording a physical education degree, like other degree programs, can require financial assistance. Therefore, many colleges and universities offer a number of scholarships specific to physical education majors. It is just a matter of knowing where to look for them, and who to inquire about these opportunities.
Where to Find Scholarships for Physical Education Majors
Most scholarships can be found on campus. Within the financial aid office, physical education majors can find general scholarships. These awards are typically merit-based, or need-based. Students should also consider the Education department. Here physical education majors can find departmental scholarships specific to their area of study. In addition, students can take the initiative and seek outside scholarships for physical education majors. Here are some examples:
Sul Ross State University in Alpine, Texas offers several scholarships to outstanding physical education majors. Scholarships include: The Dan Bustamante Memorial Scholarship; The Norm Cash Scholarship; The James Cleveland Memorial Scholarship; The Joe Don Looney Memorial Scholarship; The Estavan Martinez Memorial Scholarship; The W.H. Perryman Scholarship; and, The David Sanchez Memorial Scholarship. Each award is distributed among two semesters. Deadline for application is April 1 every year.
Northern Illinois University in DeKalb offers several scholarships to physical education students.
- The Teacher Education Scholarships are awarded to incoming freshmen or transfer students majoring in one of many disciplines, including physical education. This scholarship is awarded based on academic achievements, leadership qualities, and community involvement.
- The John H. Johansen Scholarship in Education awards one scholarship to an undergraduate or graduate student, enrolled full-time, majoring in one of many disciplines, including physical education.
- The Jessie Griffith Memorial Scholarship awards one scholarship to a student majoring in one of the many disciplines within the College of Education, including physical education. Applicants must have a minimum of 30 semester hours completed and be in good academic standing.
Virginia Commonwealth University offers two physical education scholarships among many other general scholarships. The Health & Physical Education Scholarship provides up to $1,000 to a physical education major with a strong academic record. Preference is given to undergraduate students in their sophomore, junior, or senior year with a minimum grade point average of 2.5. Applicants should be active in community service as well as university activities. Phi Kappa Phi Undergraduate Scholarship awards $2,000 to full-time students in their senior year, enrolled in a degree program within the Division of Health, Physical Education and Recreation.
Slippery Rock University of Pennsylvania gives physical education students several scholarship opportunities. Award amounts are determined each year, based on funding.
- Colette S. Garrison Scholarship—awarded to a full-time physical education major in their junior or senior year. Preference is given to female students.
- Dr. Stephen C. and Susan V. Coulon Scholarship—awarded to a physical education major who has completed their freshman year with a minimum grade point average of 3.0.
- Elmer B. Cottrell Memorial Scholarship—given to a physical education major in their junior or senior year who demonstrates financial need. Applicants must have a good academic record, possess leadership qualities, and be good citizens.
- Bob and Betty Smiley Scholarship—given to a physical education major who demonstrates financial need and has a cumulative grade point average of 3.25.
The Tobin Sorenson Physical Education Scholarship is awarded by Pi Lambda Theta, the International Honor Society and Professional Association in Education. This scholarship is offered to members and non-members with career aspirations of becoming a physical education teacher at the K-12 level, or related field. Award amount is $1,000 for tuition costs, and includes a one-year membership for non-member recipients.
Tips for Physical Education Scholarships
- Dig a little deeper when seeking departmental scholarships. Oftentimes, physical education falls under the College of Education, the Education department, or other department related to teaching, coaching, or health.
- Start early. With so many scholarship opportunities it is wise to start your research early to ensure no awards are missed.
- Don’t rule out the financial aid office on campus. Here students can find general scholarships regardless of their major.
- Your scholarship search can go beyond the campus level. Some organizations offer general education scholarships which may include awards for physical education majors, as well as awards specific to physical education degree seekers.
- Scholarships Financial Aid for Medical Students - Grants, Student Loans, Fellowships
- Scholarships Financial Aid for Law Students - Grants, Student Loans, Fellowships