Scholarships for Dental Hygiene Students
Grants, Student Loans, & Fellowships
Pursuing a career as a dental hygienist takes dedication, hard work, and a good education. Paying for that education can get costly. That is why many colleges and universities offer general scholarships as well as departmental scholarships to dental hygiene students.
It is important for students to check both the financial aid office and departments in their major area of study for scholarship availability. But the search for scholarships doesn’t have to end here. Many organizations, associations, and foundations offer dental hygiene scholarships. With a little research and perseverance, students can find great supplements to their financial aid package.
Where to Find Free Money for Dental Hygiene Students
Scholarships are free money opportunities every dental hygiene student shouldn’t overlook. Why? They don’t have to be repaid! What a better way for students to defray college costs.
Here are examples of dental hygiene scholarships:
At Minnesota State University—Mankato, dental hygiene students have several options for scholarships. The Alice K. Weed Endowment for Dental Hygiene awards outstanding students who possess leadership abilities in community or professional outreach programs. Part-time or full-time student status is accepted. Personal statement paper is required. Award amount varies. The Dr. Deborah O. Strand Dental Hygiene Endowment is awarded to students who demonstrate financial need and are funding half of their college education. Award amount varies depending on funding.
Vermont Technical College offers several scholarships to students enrolled in their dental hygiene program. Some awards include:
- Dorothy Wootton Scholarship—this scholarship is awarded each year to two second-year students enrolled in the school’s dental hygiene program. Award amount is $1,000 each.
- Hill Family Scholarships—awards two to four scholarships annually which total $4,000. Must be a Vermont resident registered at an accredited dental hygiene program to apply.
- Northeast Delta Dental Foundation Scholarships—awards two to four scholarships each year, totaling $4,000. Applicants must be enrolled in the school’s dental hygiene program to be considered.
Outside Scholarships for Dental Hygiene Students
Outside scholarships are a great supplement to a dental hygiene student’s financial aid package.
Here are examples of outside scholarships specific to dental hygiene students:
The American Dental Hygienists’ Association (ADHA) Institute for Oral Health awards a number of scholarships for dental hygiene students. These award amounts all range between $1,000 and $2,000.
- ADHA Institute General Scholarship—this scholarship is awarded to qualifying dental hygiene students.
- Sigma Phi Alpha Undergraduate Scholarship—this scholarship is awarded to active student members only. Must demonstrate outstanding academic achievements to be considered.
- Colgate “Bright Smiles, Bright Futures” Minority Scholarship—funded by Colgate Palmolive Company, this scholarship is dedicated to minority groups under-represented in the field of dental hygiene. Minority groups include African Americans, Asian Americans, Hispanics, Native Americans, and male students.
- Crest Oral-B Dental Hygiene Scholarships—funded by Proctor & Gamble, this scholarship is awarded to dental hygiene students at the bachelor degree level who are interested in dental hygiene through private and public education. Applicants must have a cumulative grade point average of 3.5 of higher.
- Dr. Harold Hillenbrand Scholarship—awarded to a dental hygiene student demonstrating a high level of academic achievement and clinical performance. Applicants must be enrolled in a dental hygiene program with a minimum grade point average of 3.5.
Some ADHA scholarships are state-specific: The Alice Hinchcliffe Wiliams, RDH, MS, Graduate Scholarship—is funded by the Virginia Dental Hygienists’ Association Foundation. Applicants must be Virginia resident and seeking a graduate degree; and, the Wilma Motley Memorial California Merit Scholarship—this is a merit-based scholarship awarded to one student seeking an associate or certificate, or bachelor degree in dental hygiene at an accredited California program; and one student pursuing a master or doctorate degree in dental hygiene, or a related field. Applicants must demonstrate excellent academic achievements.
The American Dental Association (ADA) Foundation offers a variety of scholarships to students studying in the dental field. Dental hygiene students can apply for the Dental Hygiene Scholarship. Award money is given to help pay for college costs, including tuition and fees, supplies, books, and living expenses. Award is disbursed in two increments directly to the recipient’s school financial aid office.
Scholarship Tips for Dental Hygiene Students
- Always check with the school’s dental hygiene department for scholarship availability. Many institutions offer subject-specific scholarships based on merit and/or financial need.</.li>
- Don’t overlook the school’s financial aid office. Many institutions offer general scholarships based on merit and/or financial need.
- Seek outside scholarships. Students are encouraged to use the Internet to find other scholarship opportunities to supplement their financial aid package. Many organizations, associations, and foundations offer awards dedicated to dental hygiene students.
- Scholarships for Film Majors - Grants, Student Loans, Fellowships
- Scholarships for Civil Engineering Majors - Grants, Student Loans, Fellowships