Electrical Engineering Scholarships
Grants, Student Loans, & Fellowships
Students desiring a career in electrical engineering typically enjoy subjects such as math and science, with an interest in learning how things work. However, to obtain a position in electrical engineering, students need the proper training and education. Paying for college can be frustrating, but it doesn’t have to be.
Most colleges and universities offer federal and state financial aid to electrical engineering students, along with scholarship opportunities. General scholarships are typically offered through the financial aid office. Departmental scholarships are provided through the school or college of engineering in which students choose their major area of study.
Yet, the awards don’t have to stop here. Electrical engineering students can seek outside scholarships on their own by searching the Internet. Many national organizations, associations, and foundations provide scholarships specific to the field of electrical engineering.
Where to Find Free Money for Electrical Engineering Majors
Scholarships are ‘free money’ opportunities all students should pursue because they do not have to be repaid. To be considered for any scholarships, electrical engineering majors do have to apply for them.
Most scholarship opportunities can be found on-campus, whether it is through the financial aid office or the department of the student’s major area of study. Other scholarships can be found using the Internet. With a little research, inquiries and perseverance, the rewards can be great.
Washington State University offers a number of scholarships within the School of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. Some awards include:
- David F. Fox Memorial Scholarship in Electrical Engineering is awarded to Washington state high school graduates pursuing a major in electrical engineering. Preference is given to women. Scholarship is awarded based on qualifications and financial need. Award amount differs by year.
- Royal D. Sloan Scholarship in Electrical Engineering is awarded to students enrolled in WSU’s engineering program. Students must have a minimum grade point average of 3.2 to apply. Award amount varies.
- Chin Hsu Memorial Scholarship in Electrical Engineering is awarded to college juniors enrolled in WSU’s engineering program. Preference is given to students with a concentration in control systems. Amount of award differs every year.
- Donald Shelton Roberts Scholarship for Electrical Engineering is a need-based scholarship awarded to college students at the junior and senior level, majoring in electrical engineering. Award amount differs each year.
Ohio State University’s Department of Electrical Engineering offers several endowed scholarships for students majoring in electrical engineering, as well as a limited amount of scholarships geared toward incoming freshmen with the intent to major in electrical engineering or computer engineering.
Lake Superior State University in Michigan has several scholarships for electrical engineering students. One such award is the Floyd Starks Memorial Scholarship which is a nonrenewable scholarship awarded to full-time students enrolled in electrical and computer engineering. Award amount is $1,200.
At the University of California—Berkeley electrical engineering students have several scholarship opportunities. The Cisco Internet Generation Awards are given to freshmen minority students (African American, Hispanic, or Native American), or women, and transfer students, who plan to major in electrical engineering or computer science. Award amount covers tuition, fees, books, and living expenses. The Fong Family Award is awarded to outstanding electrical engineering students in their junior or senior year who demonstrate financial need.
Electrical engineering students can reap the benefits of outside scholarships by lessening the burden of paying for their education.
Here are examples of awards dedicated to electrical engineering majors:
The Institute of Electrical & Electronics Engineers (IEEE) offers the Charles LeGeyt Fortescue Graduate Scholarship to graduate students pursuing a master degree in electrical engineering. This scholarship is awarded every year in varying amounts. IEEE provides other graduate and undergraduate scholarships and awards depending on the electrical engineering concentration.
The American Indian Science and Engineering Society offers a few scholarships to engineering students. The A.T. Anderson Memorial Scholarship is awarded to AISES members pursuing a major in a one of several fields, including engineering. Applicants must be American Indian/Alaskan Natives to be considered. Award amount varies.
Tips about Electrical Engineering Scholarships
- Speak to staff within the engineering department where you are attending school to determine scholarship availability and qualifications.
- Don’t rule out the financial aid office. Colleges and universities offer general merit- and need-based scholarships awarded through the financial aid office.
- Seek outside scholarships to supplement your financial aid package. Note requirements and application deadlines.
- Financial Aid for Occupational Therapy Students - Grants, Student Loans, Fellowships
- Dance Scholarships - Grants, Student Loans, Fellowships