Erskine College and Seminary was founded in 1839 and it became the first four-year Christian liberal arts college in South Carolina. The school is located in the academic village of Due West, a small town of just 1,200 in an area that is bursting with Revolutionary War and Civil War history, providing many places to visit. Due to this and its annual spring festival, it draws many tourists who like to come and be a part of the cultural and historic heritage.
Even though EC is located in a very small town with a lot of character, it is close to several major cities including Atlanta and Charlotte. There is easy access to both Interstates Route 26 and Route 85 which makes getting to the major cities an easy process.
There are also a lot of lakes and recreational areas available near campus for outdoor gatherings.
The following are the types of degrees and majors offered at Erskine College.
- History – General
- English Language and Literature:
- Biological and Biomedical Sciences:
- School of Visual and Performing Arts:
- Art – General, Music – General
- Philosphy and Religion:
- Philosophy, Philosophy & Religion – General, Religion/Religious Studies
- Mathematics – General
- Parks, Recreation, and Fitness:
- Health/Physical Fitness, recreation & fitness – general, Sport/Fitness Administration
- Foreign Language and Literature:
- French, Spanish
- Early Childhood Education, Elementary Education, Music Teacher Education, Physical Education, Secondary Education, Social Studies Teacher Education, Special Education
- Psychology – General
- Health and Clinical Sciences:
- Athletic Training/Sports Medicine, Clinical/Medical Laboratory Technology
- Physical Sciences:
- Chemistry, Physics
- Business, Management, & Marketing:
- Business Administration/Management
Most Popular Fields of Study
Attending a small liberal arts school can often times be quite expensive. At EC, they do everything they can to make attending affordable for students and their parents. With assistance and careful planning, most in state students can attend for less than $10,000 per year.
Financial aid is available to eligible EC students. Assistance comes from federal, state and institutional aid sources which allows for over 90% of students to receive aid. There are also scholarships available which are given out for the following reasons: athletics, academics, community services, church involvement and performing arts.
Student Financial Aid Details
Students have many ways to get involved on campus. There are over 40 different organizations that hit upon all interests. Some of these include: musical, religion, community service, athletics, fraternity and sorority.
It is this school’s philosophy for students to become connected while attending. It is a requirement that during all school terms, students must live in residential living and eat in the dining halls that are available. When enrolling to this school, students are automatically charged a room and board fee since this is a requirement for all students who attend. Male and female residential halls are separate and there are no co-ed living facilities.
Student Enrollment Demographics
Student Graduation Demographics
Athletic teams are known as the Flying Fleet. This school is a part of the NCAA.
Carrie Petersen earned her Bachelors of Science in Education and a Masters of School leadership at Northern Illinois University. Carrie likes to travel with her husband and two sons.