Scholarships for Civil Engineering Majors
Grants, Student Loans, & Fellowships
Perhaps designing structures is your dream job? As civic engineers working with plans and designs for highways, bridges, and sewage systems, it is important to obtain a strong educational background. Civil engineering majors can expect to find many financial aid opportunities to help take the burden off college loans. It’s just a matter of know where to look.
Most colleges and universities offer general scholarships as well as departmental scholarships to civic engineering majors. Although some are merit-based or need-based scholarships, others are geared toward one of the many civil engineering specialties. Some specialties include environmental, hydraulics, structural, and construction. Besides university scholarships, civic engineering majors can also seek outside scholarships offered by various organizations nationwide.
Types of Scholarships for Civil Engineering Majors
Scholarships are ‘free money’ that does not have to be repaid. These awards are a great supplement to a civil engineering student’s financial aid package. From general scholarships, to campus-specific scholarships, to minority scholarships, civil engineering students can earn awards to take the burden off unwanted college loans.
Examples of various scholarships for civil engineering majors include:
College Scholarships for Civil Engineering Majors
Wayne State University in Detroit, Michigan offers a few civil engineering scholarships to qualifying students. The Charles Lewitt Endowed Memorial Scholarship is awarded to full-time students in their junior and senior year of college. This scholarship is awarded based on leadership skills within civil engineering student organizations, and academic standing. Award amounts vary. The Murray & Helen Altman Endowment Fund offers a scholarship to full-time students studying engineering. Applicants must demonstrate financial need and leadership skills, as well as an outstanding academic record to be considered.
The University of Tennessee—Knoxville offers a special program dedicated to recruiting African American students to the field of engineering. The Diversity Engineering Scholarship Program (DESP) was designed to attract minorities into pursuing a career in engineering. A co-op engineering program available with this scholarship. Award amounts vary.
Purdue University offers scholarships and awards through its School of Civil Engineering. These scholarships are designated to help pay for student fees for the upcoming school year. The Julie E. DePhillips Scholarship is a merit-based scholarship awarded to a full-time undergraduate student majoring in civic engineering with a concentration in environmental. Preference goes to a woman.
Outside Scholarships for Civil Engineering Majors
The Society of Women Engineers (SME) offers several scholarships for women majoring in engineering. The Chevron Scholarship is awarded to female civic engineering students in their sophomore, junior, or senior year of college. Must be enrolled at an ABET-accredited college or university. Awards eight $2,000 scholarships. The Elizabeth McLean Memorial Scholarship is awarded to a female member in her sophomore year at an ABET-accredited college or university. Award amount is $1,000.
The National Society of Professional Engineers (NSPE) offers several scholarships to civic engineering majors.
- Maureen L. & Howard N. Bitman, P.E. Scholarship—this scholarship is dedicated to incoming freshmen of an ethnic minority group. Ethnic groups of preference include African American, Native American, and Hispanic. Award amount is $2,500.
- Auxillary Legacy Scholarship—awarded annually in the amount of $2,000 to a female undergraduate student studying at an ABET-accredited four-year institution.
- Steinman Scholarship Award—this scholarship is awarded to two undergraduates in their junior year. Must be enrolled at an ABET-accredited engineering program. Award amount is $5,000.
The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) offers the Eugene C. Figg Jr. Civil Engineering Scholarship. This is a need-based scholarship which awards $3,000 to an ASCE member with outstanding academic achievements. To apply, all students must submit an application, two letters of recommendation, a resume, transcript, and a 500-1000 word essay.
The Virginia Department of Transportation (VDOT) offers a special Engineer Scholarship Program to civil engineering students. This program includes a $3,500 stipend per semester, based on available funding. Applicants must be at the junior or senior level, enrolled in an ABET-accredited engineering program. They must also be Virginia resident, or attending a Virginia college or university. Includes a summer internship.
Scholarships Tips for Civil Engineering Majors
- Check with the civil engineering department for scholarship opportunities specific to your major area of study.
- Meet with a financial aid representative for general scholarships and other financial aid. These typically include federal and state financial aid.
- Seek outside scholarships using the Internet. With many organizations offering scholarships, qualifying students can use those awards to defray some college costs.
- Scholarships for Dental Hygiene Students - Grants, Student Loans, Fellowships
- Scholarships for Chemical Engineering - Grants, Student Loans, Fellowships