Auburn University is the first land-grant school established in the South. A land-grant school is sanctioned by local and federal governments, “to teach agriculture, military tactics, and the mechanical arts as well as classical studies so that members of the working classes could obtain a liberal, practical education.” It began as an all male school in 1859, became co-ed in 1892, and was re-named numerous times. Currently, the school is named for the city in which it resides. It in located in the state of Alabama just 50 miles from Montgomery, AL and only 35 miles away from Columbus, GA. Today, the university has a staff of nearly 1200 and a student body numbering over 25,000. Academic programs offer degrees which range from Business to Veterinarian Medicine via its many schools and colleges within the university. The College of Agriculture and Engineering began in 1872. Other schools, e.g. Nursing, Education and the College of Architecture, Design and Construction began in the early 20th century. Still others, like the College of Liberal Arts (1986) and the school of forestry and wildlife sciences (1984) began later and are instrumental in attracting students and staff alike.