The University of Alabama was first established in 1831. After the Civil War, the school was rebuilt and reopened in 1869. In 1969 the University of Alabama system was established, and included 3 universities. The Birmingham campus of the University of Alabama holds the Medical Center, the University College, and the Graduate School. The 2 other campuses are located in Tuscaloosa and Huntsville. The School of Dentistry is part of the Medical Center at Birmingham, and was established in 1945. It admitted its first class of students in 1948. In addition to offering a program leading to the DMD degree, the School of Dentistry has accredited programs in all the specialties as well as dental assisting. This school pioneered the development of “four-handed dentistry” and the expanded utilization of trained auxiliary personnel.