Imperial Valley College is located in Imperial County in California. The college was founded in 1962. It currently enrolls a total of nearly seven thousand students each year. The campus is located on a property of one hundred and sixty acres. The college began in 1922 as a junior college and because of a lack of attendance the neighboring location was closed, increasing attendance to Imperial Valley College— which was then referred to as Central Junior College. The college’s name was officially changed in 1951.
Interestingly, the first day of classes was held on a 160-acre plot at the intersection of highway 111 and Aten Road roughly 50 years ago. The college campus was approved by the state department of education on July 10, 1959, followed by the election of the members of the committee.