Located in Woodland Hills, California, West Valley Occupational Center is a school available to very diverse student needs. This school offers an alternative education and work center that provides studies for high school age students who have been out of school 45 days or longer and want to continue their education in an unconventional way. The school will tailor a plan contingent on the student’s high school credits.
West Valley offers numerous programs in wide variety of fields including business, childcare, cosmetology, health, technical, automotive, and an academic department.
- The Business Department offers programs including accounting, medical office assisting and medical transcription. Math, reading or language competencies may be required to receive a certificate in some of these classes.
- The Child Care certificate requires that the student take four core classes including Home, School and Community, Child Guidance #1, Child Guidance #2 and Growth and Development. This certificate also requires 10 hours of field work per week. Child care classes meet qualifications for infant/pre-school teachers set forth by the California State Department of Social Services.
- The Automotive Occupation Program offers courses in automotive technology, engine tune-up and auto body repair. Classes are designed to provide automotive skills, knowledge and preparation for certification exams.
- General academic programs include high school diploma and GED preparation and adult independent study. There is also a department devoted to teaching English as a Second Language.
- The Cosmetology Program prepares students for the State of California Cosmetology License. Most courses require the students to be 16 years old, pass a reading test and have completed the 10th grade.
- The Health Occupation Program helps students prepare for a number of certification exams in the state of California including the American Board of Opticiantry Exam, the State Nursing Assistant Examination, the Pharmacy Certified Technician Exam and the National Registry Examination.
West Valley also has a rich technical and vocational career program that includes classes in drafting, landscaping, locksmithing and computer networking and repair.
West Valley Occupational Center is open to all students who meet its admission requirements. Students must at least 16 years of age in order to enroll. Students who have not yet turned 18 years old will have to enroll through special specific guidelines.
All students will pay a registration fee for each class they enroll in.
The Accelerated Collaborative Teacher Preparation Program at West Valley offers certification testing in ASE and TSA. The program is offered by the Los Angeles Unified School District.
The school also offers a child care center on the campus of the school. Services are on a first-come-first-served basis for a small fee.
The school also offers a program for adults with disabilities including job placement assistance, reader for the blind and sign language interpreters.
The Clipboard is the schools quarterly newsletter and is published the student body.
Carrie Petersen earned her Bachelors of Science in Education and a Masters of School leadership at Northern Illinois University. Carrie likes to travel with her husband and two sons.