Athens Technical College (ATC) is a technical school with its main campus in Athens, Georgia. The college began in 1958, when the state of Georgia opened Athens Area Vocational-Technical School. The size of the campus doubled in the 1970s. The name of the school changed to Athens Area Technical Institute in 1987, then again in 2000. Today, there are three supplementary campuses in Greensboro, Elberton, and Monroe as well as several educational centers in its catchment area.