Okefenokee Technical College is situated in the southeastern rural area of Georgia, with two campuses in the towns of Alma and Waycross. The school was conceived in 1962 following a successful local referendum initiative that set up the Waycross-Ware County Area Vocational Technical School, with the original Waycross campus being established in 1965 and the second Alma campus coming along later in 1998. Okefenokee Technical College is part of Georgia’s Technical College System along with 27 other colleges.
At Okefenokee Technical College , students pursue studies for their diploma, certificate or associate degree programs in a fairly wide variety of subject areas, from business to medicine and health programs to much more. The school is known for its exceptional natural surroundings, and indeed there is the heavily frequented and coveted Laura Walker State Park only a few moments’ drive away.
Okefenokee Technical College is given its regional academic accreditation through the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools; furthermore, Okefenokee Technical College is accredited by the Council on Occupational Education.
The highest level of degree awarded at Okefenokee Technical College is an associate degree, pursuant to its status as a two-year college. What is remarkable about Okefenokee Technical College is the fact that so many of its study programs are actually directed towards an associate degree, with much fewer programs culminating in a technical certificate or diploma (which are of a lower academic level). The number of different programs is also quite notable in light of the number of students attending the school.
Study programs are available in many different fields, and among the most recent additions to the academic offerings of Okefenokee Technical College are the programs for freight conductor, commercial truck driving and environmental horticulture. Other possible programs include those in the areas of cosmetology, business administration, mechanics and repair, and a rather unique program on environmental conservation.
There are also adult continuing education programs and economic development programs available at Okefenokee Technical College that have helped boost its reputation considerably. There are tailored employee training programs available through the school that attract many corporate entities, and recently Okefenokee Technical College has joined forces with Quick Start, the national workforce training organization, to increase its employee training portfolio.
Furthermore, as with many technical colleges across the nation, there is the academic opportunity for high school juniors and seniors to engage in dual enrollment and accrue credits for both their regular school as well as at Okefenokee Technical College; there is even the possibility of earning a technical certificate before or at the same time as earning one’s high school diploma.
Most Popular Fields of Study
There is an open admissions policy in place at Okefenokee Technical College, which is to say that students who meet certain minimal qualifications will be guaranteed admission to the school up to the point where it reaches student capacity for the next academic term. To be considered for any of the degree or diploma programs at Okefenokee Technical College an applicant must possess a high school diploma or a GED. Separately, the minimum age for studying at the school is sixteen, with students enrolling in the medical programs having to be seventeen or older.
Applications can be submitted online or in print form, and after providing the application as well as transcripts and academic assessment test results (SAT, ACT, ACCUPLACER, etc.) applicants should contact the school’s admissions office to arrange for an interview with one of the advisors.
Okefenokee Technical College participates in the US Department of Education’s Title IV financial assistance programs and therefore students at the school are eligible for federal financial aid in the form of grants, loans, etc. Students should file their Free Application for Federal Student Aid as early as possible to increase their chances of being allocated such financial aid.
Student Financial Aid Details
The student body at Okefenokee Technical College’s two campuses as well as its other outreach centers reaches approximately 3,500 people. Of this student body, roughly 55% studies on a full-time basis while the remaining 45% studies on a part-time basis. In-state students account for almost the entirety of the student body, and in terms of racial diversity the breakdown is roughly as follows during a given semester: 70% Caucasian, 25% African American, and the remaining percentage constituted by a mix of Hispanic and other ethnicities.
There are no on-campus student housing facilities available at Okefenokee Technical College, which is to say that this is an entirely commuter college campus.
Student Enrollment Demographics