Coahoma Community College’s roots date back to before the Civil Rights Movement, when segregation was still the norm. The school was originally founded as the first agricultural high school for African Americans in Mississippi in 1924, but within 45 years, it would bulk up its curriculum and become Coahoma Junior College. In its first year as a junior college in 1949, the school employed a lone full-time instructor and several part-time high school teachers. Within three years, the junior college brought a dean and full-time college staff onboard.
In 1950, Coahoma Junior College’s second year in existence, it became the first African American college to join the public junior college system in the state of Mississippi. Within 15 years, in 1965, the school would break more barriers, inviting students of all races and religions to study at the school.
The college, located in Clarksville, retained its name until 1989 when the school’s board of trustees, in conjunction with the community and junior colleges state board, voted to change the name to Coahoma Community College.
Today, the campus is the academic home of more than 2,000 students, the majority of whom are African American or Hispanic, with women outnumbering men across the board. The school recently officially unveiled its newest, six million dollar administration building, which will house the college’s executive staff, expanding its facilities as the college continues to grow.