The Mississippi Agricultural High School Law of 1908 made it possible for the Pearl River Country Agricultural High School (PRCAHS) to open. This law was in violation of the separate but equal law since African-American students were not allowed to attend this high school. That same law caused all but three of the thirty agricultural high schools in Mississippi to close at that time. Citizens of Pearl River County helped to fund the school by securing a loan from a local bank until the legislature passed a new law affording the opportunity to both races.
Classes resumed on September 8, 1909 in a three story building on 20 acres of land in Poplarville, Mississippi. Freshman level classes were added during the years of 1921 and 1922. Pearl River Community College began adding sophomore classes during the years 1925 and 1926. The college continued to grow, and now the college has a total of 4 campuses.