Charles Duncan McIver founded the University of North Carolina at Greensboro in the year 1891. The school began as a women’s college. In 1892, the school opened as the state Normal and Industrial School. The student body began with 223 students taught by 15 teachers. The school changes names several over the years. The list of names included North Carolina College for Women (1919), Women’s College of the University of North Carolina (1932), and finally, University of North Carolina at Greensboro (1963). During the year 1963, men were admitted into the university.