The CUNY Bernard M Baruch College, popularly known as Baruch College, traces its beginnings with the passing of a bill in 1847 for the establishment of the Free Academy, the first institution offering free public higher education in the United States. In the year 1866, the Free Academy was renamed as the College of the City of New York. Bernard M. Baruch, a financer and the economic advisor to American Presidents, was a very notable alumnus who graduated from the college in 1889. He contributed significant gifts to his alma mater. In 1968, the erstwhile College of the City of New York was given its presentname. In 1907, the college shifted to a bigger campus between St. Nicholas Terrace and Convent Avenue from 138th to 140th Streets.
Today, the college ranks among the region’s and nation’s top colleges. The campus is located on Lexington Avenue near the Flatiron/Gramercy Park district of Manhattan. The academic programs accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE). More than 17,000 students enroll every year for various courses. The college offers 38 undergraduate majors and 30 graduate-level specializations.