Founded in 1931 as the Bronx campus of Hunter College, Lehman College became an independent institution in 1968. This New York college is part of the City University of New York (CUNY) system and is named after Herbert Lehman, a former New York governor, U.S. senator and philanthropist. It is primarily a liberal arts college, offering more than 90 undergraduate and graduate degree programs and paths of study.
The 37-acre campus is located near the Jerome Park Reservoir. Used as a main national training ground for women in the military in World War II and the temporary headquarters for the United Nations in 1946, the campus is interesting for its historical significance as well as for its Collegiate Gothic and modern architecture.