Oklahoma State University was established in 1890. It is a public school with 6 undergraduate schools, and 1 graduate school. The College of Osteopathic Medicine originally opened in 1972 and enrolled its first class in 1974, which graduated in 1977. That year the college moved to its permanent campus on the west bank of the Arkansas River, near downtown Tulsa. In 1988, the College of Osteopathic Medicine joined Oklahoma State University.