Denmark Technical College was founded in 1948 by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina with the mandate to educate African American citizens in the trades. It is a comprehensive two year college. The school was originally known as Denmark Branch of the South Carolina Trade School System, but achieved independence and changed to its current moniker in 1969.
DTC serves the citizens of Bamberg, Barnwell, and Allendale Counties in particular but is open to serve students throughout the state of South Carolina. The city of Denmark, roughly 50 miles south of Columbia and 85 miles northeast of Charleston, is home to approximately 5,000 residents. The campus is situated on 53 acres in town.