In 1869, a group of members of the Cumberland Presbyterian Church formed a small college in Tehuacana, Texas. The school was formed by merging three even smaller colleges that were all suffering greatly after the American Civil War. The small community of Tehuacana was not enough to support the new school, and the entire system moved to Waxahachie, Texas. Shortly, thereafter, the Cumberland Presbyterian church members and the college formed an affiliation with the United Presbyterian Church.
Nearby, in San Antonio, a Methodist-based university was struggling to survive. The community of San Antonio desperately wanted to keep a Protestant college in the city, and they requested that Trinity move to San Antonio and absorb the failing school. Trinity did so and became known as Trinity University. Over the next several decades, endowments and donations were made to the school and the university expanded into what is now its current campus.
The school lies on the perimeter of San Antonio overlooking the downtown area of this beautiful Texan city. Today, the college is thriving both economically and ecologically. The college has recently completed a “green phase” in its history, attempting to make the facilities and products used on campus as environmentally friendly as possible. The students have also been very vocal about the Fair Trade movement, and today all the coffee used and sold by the university is fair trade certified.