Pacific Lutheran University (PLU) was established in 1890 by a group of Norwegian Lutherans headed by Reverend Bjug Harstad from the Puget Sound area. The university was established with the main objective of helping immigrants adjust to their new land and find jobs. Another prime objective was to produce graduates who would serve the church and the community. Although it was set up as a university, it functioned primarily as an academy until 1918 when it closed for two years. It reopened after two years as the Pacific Lutheran College, offering two-year courses, and merged with the Columbia College. The Spokane College also merged with the Pacific Lutheran College in 1929. In 1960, the institution was reorganized and renamed Pacific Lutheran University.
Pacific Lutheran University is located on a 156-acre woodland campus six miles south of Tacoma, in suburban Parkland. The university is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities and has consistently been ranked in the top 15 Western region universities in the U.S. News & World Report’s annual “Best Colleges” survey.
Pacific Lutheran University is comprised of a College of Arts and Sciences and professional schools of Arts and Communication, Business, Education and Movement Studies, and Nursing offering undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs.