The West Virginia School of Medicine first opened in 1902, but did not begin to provide a 4-year program until 1960 when the University Hospital opened. The school became known as the West Virginia University Health Sciences Center, Charleston Division, in 1972 when the Charleston Area Medical Center joined the university. In 1974 theWheeling Division of the Health Sciences Center was established. It is currently known as the Robert C. Byrd Sciences Center of West Virginia University. Beside the School of Medicine, the Center contains schools of Dentistry, Nursing, and Pharmacy.