Snead Community College began as a small mission school in 1898 in the home of the original founders. The Elder family opened the Boaz Seminary with 70 students. The seminary grew rapidly, and in 1906 the name changed to John H. Snead Seminary in honor of the person who donated land and money to the seminary. The seminary graduated more than 1200 students in 1906, and the seminar remained one of Alabama’s strongest secondary schools.
In 1935, Snead State College began operating as a junior college after being chartered by the State of Alabama. The college was under the supervision of the North Alabama Conference of the Methodist Church. In 1967, after spending 32 years as a private junior college, the college became part of a two-year college system in Alabama under the guise of the Alabama State Board of Education. The college changed the name to Snead State Junior College that same year.
The State Board of Education authorized that Snead State Junior College become Snead State Community College in May 1992. The main campus in Boaz , Alabama consists of 20 building and sits of 45-acres of land.