University of New Haven (UNH) has a history stretching back almost a century. It was founded in 1924 and was then known as the New Haven YMCA Junior College. The junior college used that name until 1970 when it acquired the current name.
The move from junior college to university was necessitated by a number of things. First, the institution had expanded the scope of its program offerings substantially. At inception, the junior college was mainly serving the educational needs of the local community and its programs were limited to only business and engineering. For a long time also, the college stood in the shadow of Yale University on which it depended for crucial facilities.
By 1960, the junior college had increased the numbers of degree courses and acquired new buildings and the building of new structures was accelerated in the 1960s. The West Haven, Connecticut, campus as it stands today actually took shape as a result of the aggressive building plan of the 1960s.
Today, UNH is built on an 84-acre campus and enrolls over 5,000 students.