Established in 1871, Mercer University – Macon is one of Mercer university’s three main campuses. The university was founded in 1833 by early 19th century Baptists, but it is not formally affiliated with the Baptist denomination anymore. However, part of its mission is to affirm Judeo-Christian values while emphasizing research, leadership, and service. The university also offers interdisciplinary hands-on programs of study. The university is is accredited by the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS).
Mercer University’s historic Macon campus houses the School of Medicine, the Stetson School of Business and Economics, the College of Liberal Arts, the School of Engineering, the Tift College of Education and the Townsend School of Music. There are also programs for working adults that are offered through the College of Continuing and Professional Studies and the Walter F. George School of Law is located just one mile away. The Macon campus has a teach hospital, a university press, and a performing arts center. Online classes are offered during the summer. The best places to study at Mercer University are the Connell Student Center lounge, the Jack Tarver Library, and Jittery Joe’s Coffee in Mercer Village, which offers extended hours during exam periods.
The university offers small class sizes; the student-to-faculty ratio is 14:1, and nearly 57 percent of its classes have fewer than 20 students. Mercer University is consistently ranked among the country’s best schools by publications that include U.S. News & World Report and the Princeton Review. The Princeton Review named Mercer as a “Best Value” school for its excellent academics and “relatively low costs of attendance,” and U.S. News & World Report listed Mercer on its list of “Great Schools, Great Prices.”
Mercer is the only college in Georgia to be distinguished by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching for its Community Engagement Classification. The University also was one of the few universities in the country to be recognized in for distinguished community service on the first President’s Higher Education Community Service Honor Roll in 2006, 2007, and 2008.