Grantham University was founded in 1951 by World War II veteran Donald Grantham. Originally, the school was small and only taught radio license classes and war veterans made up the whole of the student body. The school quickly expanded, with more course offerings in the area of electronics and several more campuses across the nation. In 1968, the school renamed itself the Grantham College of Engineering and gradually brought most of its operations under one roof in Los Angeles, California. At the same time, the school transitioned into solely a distance learning institution. The early 90’s saw the school relocate to Slidell, Louisiana. The new facilities would be almost entirely wiped out by Hurricane Katrina in 2005. In response to the disaster, Grantham quickly set up new headquarters in Kansas City, Missouri.