The University of Louisville School of Medicine was originally part of the Louisville Medical Institute when it was established in 1833. In 1846 it became part of the University of Louisville, which is part of the state university system. In 1908 the school merged with 4 others and adopted its present name. In the late 1980s the school embarked on a comprehensive building program, which included the construction of the University of Louisville Hospital. The Health Science Center consists of the schools of Medicine, Dentistry, and Nursing.