In 1956, The University of New Orleans (UNO) was established through Louisiana Legislature as Louisiana State University in New Orleans. The campus was acquired when the United States Navy left its air station on the shore of Lake Pontchartrain. After some renovations, classes began in September 1958, making LSU-New Orleans the first racially integrated public university in the South. By 1961, the university became an official four-year institution with divisions established in liberal arts, sciences, and business administration.
In 1969, LSU-New Orleans exceeded 10,000 students and became the second largest university in Louisiana. A new name, University of New Orleans, was not introduced until 1974 as it more accurately defined the campus. By 1983, there were five senior colleges: Liberal Arts, Education, Sciences, Business Administration, and Engineering. In addition, there was a Junior College for freshmen, and a Graduate School for student wishing to earn advanced degrees. Today, the campus also houses a School of Urban and Regional Studies, a School of Hotel, Restaurant and Tourism Administration, a School of Naval Architecture and Marine Engineering, as well as various institutes, divisions, and centers for specialized research.
Although the UNO campus was affected by Hurricane Katrina in 2005, classes resumed 42 days after the storm. It is now known as a major research university.