Itawamba Community College has a history dating back to the earlier part of the 20th century when it was established as the humble extension of Itawamba County Agricultural High School. While plans were there from the very beginning to make this a full-fledged community college, the community’s efforts were hampered by several factors but mostly by the outbreak of the Second World War. Expansion plans were shelved until the end of the war and the college only opened its doors to the first group of students in 1948 as Itawamba Junior School.
Today, ICC has changed so much that it is hardly recognizable from what it was originally. It has three campuses – Fulton, Belden and Tupelo. The Tupelo campus was established in 1963 and by then studies were conducted in premises purchased from businesses in the city. It was to expand later with the acquisition of a complex exceeding 65,000 square feet and today the campus has 14 buildings. The college changed its name to Itawamba Community College in 1987.
ICC is a multi-racial institution serving more than 8,400 undergraduate students, the majority of whom are women.