On January 5, 1887, Buies Creek Academy, presently known as Campbell University, was founded as a community school. The founder, James Archibald Campbell, established the school under the premise that no students should be rejected for admission due to lack of money. Buies Creek Academy became Campbell Junior College in 1926 after receiving junior college status. In 1961, the school’s name changed to Campbell University after becoming a senior college. In 1979, the Norman Adrian Wiggins School of Law opened, and the school’s name changed to Campbell University. As the university continued to grow more schools opened on the campus, including the Lundy-Fetterman School of Business (1983), School of Education (1985), the Divinity School (1995), and the Pharmacy School (1985).