West Chester University of Pennsylvania (West Chester) is a public university located about 25 miles west of Philadelphia. The university has been in existence since 1812 and has seen many changes, including name changes, throughout the years. In 1983, the university assumed its current name when it became a member of the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education.
The school is especially well-known for its attractive campus. One section, featuring buildings made of native serpentine stone, is a designated Historic District by the National Register of Historic Places. The historic district includes the Old Library, Recitation Hall, and Ruby Jones Hall.