Spartanburg Methodist College (SMC) is a private two-year college affiliated with the United Methodist Church in the city of Spartanburg, South Carolina. The focus of the school is preparing students for transfer to a four year college or university. Unlike most two-year colleges which focus on technical and trade education, SMC teaches an almost entirely liberal arts curriculum.
The school has been a part of the community of Spartanburg for a century. It was founded in 1911 by Methodist pastor Dr. David English Camak as Textile Industrial Institute (TII), a work-study cooperative that provided high school education to young adults working in textile mills in the Spartanburg area. Under the auspices of TII, students alternated between working for one week, then taking classes for one week. Starting in 1927, the school gradually added college classes and dropped high school classes, until it became Spartanburg Junior College in 1942.
In 1965, the school put on a spurt of growth to grow the campus and the student body to its current levels. This period of growth culminated in a name change in 1974, when Spartanburg Junior College took on its current name of Spartanburg Methodist College.
SMC has been a religious school since its inception. Today, it is most closely affiliated with the United Methodist Church through the General Board of Global Ministries and the Board of Global Ministries of the South Carolina Annual Conference. Although SMC is a small school, with about 800 students enrolled at any given time, the campus is large, spreading over 110 wooded acres inside the Spartanburg city limits.