The University of Nevada-Las Vegas is located in Paradise, Nevada (suburb of Las Vegas). The beautiful campus sits on 337-acres of land that is approximately 1.5 miles east of the famous Las Vegas Strip. The public university received the recognition of “research intensive university” by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.
The university was officially established in 1957 although the first classes were held in 1951 in a classroom at Las Vegas High School. 29 graduates took part in the first graduation ceremony in 1964. The university began as a small university but has since expanded the facilities and academic programs.
One of the largest developments on campus took place in 1997 when the Paul B. Sogg Architecture Building opened. The building features classrooms, a learning library, faculty offices, laboratories, and studio space. Paradise Elementary School moved into this building, offering direct training for education majors.
In 2001, the Lieb Library opened on campus. The high-tech library was created with a robotic book retrieval system. The university has received millions of dollars in research funding that helps the university continue to develop and grow.