Originally established as Benjamin P. Cheney Academy in 1882, the school underwent several name changes such as State Normal School in 1889, and Eastern Washington College of Education in 1937. After World War II, the institute added several graduate and undergraduate degree programs. In 1977, the Washington State Legislature finally renamed it as Eastern Washington University. Also referred to as EWU, Eastern Washington University is a regional, comprehensive public University located in small town of Cheney, Washington, United Sates. The main campus spans 300 acres of beautifully landscaped area. It also offers off-campus programs statewide in Seattle, Kent, Shoreline, Bellevue, Tacoma, Everett, Yakima, Spokane, and Vancouver.