Located 15 miles south of Greensboro, North Carolina, John Wesley College (JWC) is an interdenominational Christian College, based on Wesleyan-Arminian theology and evangelical Christian biblical interpretation. The school’s mission is to provide an academically rigorous, Bible-based education that prepares its graduates for a career in ministry.
John Wesley College was founded as Greensboro Bible and Literary School in 1903, during a spiritual revival led by Reverends Seth Rees and Charley Weigle. During the revival, many young people dedicated their lives to religious service. To serve these young people, the revival’s leaders established the school to provide practical training for spiritual service.
In 1931, during the Great Depression, the school briefly closed due to financial pressures. In 1932, the school reopened as the People’s Bible College, thanks to the support of many dedicated community leaders. In 1956, the school renamed itself John Wesley College in order to reflect its heritage in Methodist theology. The school moved to its present 25-acre location in 1980, when local businessman Edwin H. Shufelt donated 25 acres of land to the college.