The holidays are in full swing and you know what that meansits time to take care of those last-minute gifts and cross everyones name off your shopping list. Young people can picky and many of them have tastes that change frequently, but these presents and stocking stuffers are perfect for nearly any college student.
1. Phone. Most college students are just about attached to their cell phones, but a phone upgrade would make a great gift from Mom and Dad, especially if they also pay the phone bill!
2. iPod / iPad. The Apple iPod has changed the way we listen to music and the Apple iPad is probably the trendiest tablet on the market. Both items are favorites of college students.
3. Laptop. Students use laptops nearly as much as they use their phones, and a new laptop will probably have them jumping for joy as soon as they rip off the wrapping paper.
4. Scanner Pen. Scanner pens are portable handheld scanners that can easily scan notes or other text into a computer for easier management. A perfect gift for detailed note-takers.
5. Alarm Clock. Waking up early is never fun, but a new alarm clock is a great way to help your favorite student make it to class on time. iPod alarm clock docks are an easy way to charge your iPod overnight and wake up to your favorite tunes.
6. Electronics Accessories. If youre going to have cool gadgets, you need cool accessories! Headphones, speakers, chargers, laptop bags and cell phone cases are just a few common electronics accessories that college students love to receive.
7. Coffee Maker. Coffee has been a staple of college students for decades and trips to the campus Starbucks can add up quickly. A new coffee maker is a great addition to any dorm room, especially if its a single-serve brewer that uses individual coffee pods.
8. Food. Its easy to get sick of eating in the cafeteria and ramen noodles dont always cut it, which means that food is a great gift! Yummy non-perishable food items will definitely be appreciated when the late night munchies strike.
9. Magazine subscriptions. Its always fun to get something in the mail besides bills. Your college student will think of you every month when your magazine arrives.
10. Pillows. When it comes to comfort, dorm room beds leave something to be desired. A pair of top quality pillows and set of matching pillow cases will help!
11. Cash. Cash is quite possibly the most appreciated gift of all. It might seem impersonal, but a few bucks will go a long way.
12. Gift Cards. Gift cards are almost as good as cash! Gift cards to coffee shops, restaurants, and supercenters like Wal-Mart and Target are favorites.
13. TV Shows on DVD. An entire season of a TV series on DVD will provide hours and hours of study-break entertainment. Find out your students favorite show and get them a season or two.
14. Netflix Subscription. DVD rental by mail is another good alternativea new show or movie is always available.
15. Cookbooks. There are plenty of different cookbooks for college students. Select one that can help teach your student how to cook creatively on a budget with limited space and equipmentin a dorm kitchen or dorm room!
16. Gym Membership. There might be a fitness center on campus, but some students like to get away from school every now and then. Locate a gym thats nearby and get your student a gym membership to use during the school year. Theyll think of you every time they work out.
17. Photo Frames. College students love to decorate their dorms. Cute photo frames can be displayed on the wall or on your students desk.
18. Water Pitcher with Filter and Bottles. Bottled water can add up quickly, but a pitcher with a Brita water filter and some reusable water bottles is an easy way to handle the problem.
19. Socks. A boring basic that always comes in handy.
20. Underwear. Goes great with socks.
21. Laundry Gift Basket. Doing laundry is a dreaded chore, especially when its done in the dorm laundry room. A laundry basket complete with detergent, fabric softener, dryer sheets and a few rolls of quarters is a great essentials gift that will be appreciated.
22. Movie Tickets. A couple of movie tickets is an easy way to provide a safe night of fun.
23. Textbooks. Textbooks might not sound like a glamorous gift, but a gift card to your students college bookstore will help ease the burden of spending a bundle at the start of the new semester. Theyll thank you repeatedly.
24. Ebook Reader. Ebook readers such as the Amazon Kindle and the Barnes and Noble nook are two great ebook readers. Let your student have a library at their fingertips!
25. Massage. A gift certificate for a professional massage will definitely come in handy when the stress of the semester starts taking its toll!
Melissa Rhone earned her Bachelor of Music in Education from the University of Tampa. She resides in the Tampa Bay area and enjoys writing about college, pop culture, and epilepsy awareness.
Have something to say? Feel free to add comments or additional information.